In 1970, the Autism Society of America declared April as Autism Awareness Month. The goal was to educate the public about autism – what it is, what it isn’t, and what’s being done for those with it.
Since then, awareness continues to grow every year. It’s become a month full of campaigns to educate the public & celebrate those with ASD in our lives. One in which A is for Apple happily takes part.
(You’ll find more history at this WhatHealth.com page.)
What Happens During Autism Awareness Month?
Throughout April, autism groups set out to promote autism awareness. This year promotion takes place via:
- Local & online events
- Social media campaigns
- Government declarations
- Discussion in schools
- Special announcements and more!
How Can I Participate?
There are many ways to participate in Autism Awareness Month.
- Show your support with an Autism Awareness Puzzle Ribbon (available here).
- Help educate your community with the Puzzle Piece Project & Autism Awareness Month Tool Kit from AutismSpeaks.org.
- Attend an Autism Awareness event, put on by the San Francisco Autism Society: http://www.sfautismsociety.org/events.html
- Donate to the Autism Society: Help improve the lives of all impacted by autism with donations to the Autism Society. All monies raised go to supporting the efforts of their 100 nationwide affiliates, including our own Bay Area chapter.
- Join us on Social Media: Use the hashtag #AutismUniquelyYou to voice your support for autism awareness & talk with other families.
If you have questions about Autism Awareness Month events, please talk to your A is for Apple supervisor. Or email us at email@example.com.
Leave A Comment